Lisa's Surgery Date: April 25, 2008

Check the archives for details . . .



Monday, April 7, 2008

Why I Have Chosen the DIEP Reconstruction Option

DIEP -Deep Inferior Epigastric Perferator

After receiving the surprising news that I had bilateral cancer, I had a few weeks before seeing my oncologist, Karen Gelmon at the BC Cancer Agency, to research some options. When I finally met with Karen, she confirmed that I had the following choices:
a) Clear the cancer and create positive margins - live with whatever breast tissue was left
b) Double mastectomy and no reconstruction
c) Double mastectomy and implants
d) Double mastectomy and delayed reconstruction (after treatment)
e) Double mastectomy and reconstruction (with my own tissue) at the same time

The sentinel node indicator will dictate subsequent treatment: chemo, hormone, and/or radiation.

My choice was easy - to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction with my tissue at the same time. I would rather have one operation and be done with operations in one fell swoop. I have too much living to do!!

I returned home and researched various options of reconstruction using your own tissue. In these surgeries, the tummy, buttocks, back, or thigh can be used as the donor site. The tummy is the most successful because of the strong blood supply.

Once I had decide on the donor site, I looked at the varied TRAM flap options which had been suggested to me at the BCCA. This research alarmed me. The TRAM (transverse rectus abdominal muscle) options use the entire transverse muscle and leave the patient with little, if any, stomach muscle. Not a chance! Who would choose that?

I then came upon the DIEP option. A recent option - MUCH better. It is the same as the TRAM flap BUT the muscle is left intact. The blood supply is microscopically taken from the tram and attached to the mammary artery in the breast pocket. I decided then that if my plastic surgeon was unable to perform the newer DIEP - I was opting for implants at a later date.

Upon meeting the plastic surgeon, (who looked 12 years old), she informed me that the DIEP is her specialty. She has performed 100's of them both in Canada and the US. We reviewed all options again and then the DIEP procedure in depth. The answer was clear. I am a DIEP girl!

Right now I am harvesting my "muffin top" or as Laura Hansen would say, my "nuclear explosion". My belly will become my boobs :) Yippee Skippee!

I HIGHLY recommend watching the operation via Beth Israel hospital in New York.
Ladies - the doctors are cuties! (added viewing feature)
The DIEP webcast:

http://www.or-live.com/bethisrael/1896/event/rnh.cfm?

This way, you will understand the updates that will be posted by Norm on the 25th.
If you have a weak tummy - fast forward and freeze frame the surgery. It is very informative and all your burning questions are answered.

Cheers . . .

1 comment:

lewy007 said...

Sounds like you have made the right choice and I am here to tell you the belly boobs are 1000% step up from the GUNT that many people are sporting.