Lisa's Surgery Date: April 25, 2008

Check the archives for details . . .



Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Realistic Treatment Timeline!

Bilateral breast cancer was not my initial diagnosis. I was told I had Ductal Carcinoma in situ (DCIS) in my right breast. This is the fastest growing breast cancer. The cells are contained in the ducts and are even referred to as precancerous. The survival rate is extremely high. I could deal with that . . . but I wanted to be treated asap.

One month later I had the needle biopsy on the ductal carcinoma. The surgeon in PG tried to clear the margins on my right breast and then thought he would remove an annoying lump in my left breast. I had complained about this lump since August. I had 2 mammograms and 2 ultra sounds on the left breast but was told that it was likely a calcified lump from breast feeding. After all, "breast cancer doesn't hurt" - false!

The results of that surgery proved to be alarming. Weeks later I was called in and told the news. The ductal cancer had moved into the lobes and the cells had become comedo cells. The cancer stage moved from 0 to 2. In my left breast, the calcified lump was an invasive tumor, and it was stage 2/3. Yikes! How far it has invaded will be determined on the 25th.

From the beginning, and especially at this point, I wish that I had the following resource:
http://www.breastcancernavigationmap.com/

This is an awesome interactive resource of what to expect in terms of a treatment timeline. It alleviates stress and allows the survivor to prepare for the next step. Not everything is done in the timeline one would expect.

A hardcopy of this is available in every breast cancer kit. Upon diagnosis - MAKE SURE to get your kit. I was not given mine until 2 months later. I was extremely frustrated with, what I felt to be, poor medical attention. If I had this kit - I would have relaxed and used my energies productively.

4 comments:

Matt Stang said...

Love you Auntie and can't wait to put my outfit on and post my picture haha. It will be the best one forsure.

Lisa said...

I hope you remember that no one knows that you are a cross dresser - so go easy! Ooops - did I let the cat out of the bag???

Matt Stang said...

Well then I guess the secret is out haha guess I am going to have to think of something more swift

Lisa said...

Hey Matty,
Did you know that mike has tonsils the size of golf balls? He's in rough shape. Auntie Rhonda and Ethan took him out for lunch today - he could not eat his pasta. yikes!