Lisa's Surgery Date: April 25, 2008

Check the archives for details . . .



Monday, May 26, 2008

HOLY MEDS!

I went to fill my prescriptions today before chemo starts. Good God - thank heavens I have good medical coverage. Here's the run down of my starting line up:
* Pms-Ondansetron; prevents nausea: $147.50 (little box on the right)
* Pms- Dexamethasone; decreases the body's natural defensive reponses and reduces the chances of an allergic reaction: $46.14
* Gen-Zopiclone used for sleeping problems. Not addictive: $28.04
* Apo-Metoclop; used for persistent heart burn: $10.47
* Novo-lexin; anti-biotic; $34.50
And batting clean up . . . my regular meds.

After I came back from this costly venture, my sister, Rhonda, mom, and I were talking about what a person would do if they could not afford these "support" meds. Rhonda suggested that perhaps people would feel better about giving money to the Cancer Agency if they could "adopt a patient" in need. That way you would know exactly where the money goes. I think that is a mighty fine idea.

I still have not received the nod for chemo to start. If I do not receive a call tomorrow - I'll call them.

6 comments:

Becky said...

THAT'S A LOT TO SWALLOW LITA!

Lisa said...

No kidding.
Good God. And at the chemo teach it's 'Well, if you feel like "this" take one, but if you feel like "that" then take one of these and two of those"
Head spinner.

Anonymous said...

Geez, weez Lisa that is a crazy amount of meds. No room for Dibs in that tummy. And not knowing exactly what to take and when would drive anyone crazy. Hang in there because you are a true Fighter in every sense!!!

Anonymous said...

lisa and rhonda


Just think of them as vitamins maybe that will help. I think Rhonda has a good idea about adopting a patient. We concentrate so much on finding a cure with all the money raised, which is important . But I think people are so unaware of what the patient has to go through and contend with . I t would be a great support to help some one out. I'd be behind that idea all the way.


love ya
linda

Anonymous said...

I think adopting a patient in need is a GREAT IDEA.!!Thank god I had extended health benefits,but before prescribing the meds I needed the Dr. asked me if I was covered.I asked what would happen if I wasn't.All I got was a "well its a good thing you are".I was neutropenic(my white cells depleated).The medication was injections 9 every cycle at $200 a shot.I couldn't have done without them, how many people on low income may not get what they need because they can't afford it.(I had 6 cycles do the math and that was just 1 medication)
Your cancer friend Colleen

Elizabeth said...

Just discovered your blog. Also a teacher and a patient of Dr. Gelmon. Like the last person who commented I had 20 Neuprogen shots at $200 a shot. At the beginning of it all the Victory Program helped e negotiate things with my extended health care provider and Pharmacare. Like you and Rhonda I wondered about people who didn't have extended health plans or simply couldn't afford it. They would get must of their drug costs covered through Pharmacare and the wonderful people at the Victory Program would help them with the rest.. Dr. Gelmon's office was able to hook me up with the Victory prog when I wasn't sure what my extended health would cover. I like Rhonda's idea of adopt a patient. I also like one of your other posts about funding prevention. My big, ugly, sneaky cancer was missed THREE times in mammograms and if we had better screening equipment it might have been caught earlier!
Elizabeth