Lisa's Surgery Date: April 25, 2008

Check the archives for details . . .



Friday, May 23, 2008

Chemotherapy School


So here I am with lovely Veronica learning about my chemo regiment. We met yesterday morning at the Cancer Agency in Vancouver. She was very thorough and answered all the questions that Chrissy and I had. An hour quickly flew by and then it was time to visit THE oncology guru - Karen Gelmon :)
My chemo drugs: DC - Docetaxel Cyclophosphamide
These two drugs we will be administered here in PG. The plan consists of 4 cycles. Each cycle is 3 weeks in length. For 3 days, starting the night before chemo, I take anti-nausea drugs. After a 2 hour chemo session, the first 72 hours are the worst. Once I get over that hump, I boost back up my immune system for 2 and 1/2 weeks. Nearing day 21, I have a blood test to make sure the white blood cell count is back up. Then I get zapped again. Usually this treatment is 6 cycles, but Karen is only recommending 4. So by the end of the summer, I should be finished with this.
The side effects are varied and many. The most obvious are nausea and vomiting, hair loss, diarrhea, mouth sores, heart burn, and fatigue. There are many others, but these are the most common to manage. Some people do not experience all of these - but most do.
I am just anxious to get started. When we met with Karen, she gave me several prescriptions and she faxed the PG clinic to begin chemo next week. I am expecting a call today or Monday.
In the meantime, I am going to have a relaxing weekend with Norm. We are going to Cherie Allen's birthday dinner tonight, and then heading out to the cabin tomorrow. R & R. I am very excited!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with your chemo.The doxetaxel side effects can be a pain.It was the peripheral neuropathy that was difficult to take.Feet got numb and sore and had difficulty walking.Hope your side effects are minimal.
Colleen

Lisa said...

Good Lord!
How many cycles did you have?