Lisa's Surgery Date: April 25, 2008

Check the archives for details . . .



Saturday, May 10, 2008

GELMON VISIT!

So, here is the miracle worker - Dr. Karen Gelmon. She is the top oncologist on the planet!
I met with her yesterday afternoon, after my ultra sound to hear the news regarding chemo or hormone therapy. Result: I will begin my chemotherapy at the end of this month.

Now the ultra sound was an interesting experience. The technician was a focused little Asian man - Bin. Chrissy and I had fun with him. He "probed" me in all areas to get a good look at the growth on my right ovary. Very interesting procedures . . . I had never had an internal probe before. For anyone who has, you can imagine my surprise :)

Then it was upstairs to see Karen. On May 20th I head back to Vancouver for consults with the gynecologists. Yes, another operation is in store to prevent any chance of ovarian cancer - hysterectomy later this summer. Then I see Sheina for some boob talk and then back to Karen for a set up for chemo. My first chemo date has yet to be set, but hopefully it will be during this trip. After that, my chemo will be completed here in PG.

My reaction to this news . . . well, like I said to Karen - I'd rather be safe than sorry. I was disappointed that I will not be able to complete my Masters this July, and that I will lose my hair. The reality - health first! Hair grows back and my Masters will get done, just not on my expected timeline. I have wonderful professors in Lethbridge and I know they will work with me on a realistic timeline to complete this goal. I'll just miss my cohort this summer. We have a great group of genuine people. I'll miss the laughs.

It is so nice to be home! I cried when I finally got to hold Jordyn in my arms last night. I just held her as tight as my body would allow and cried. She is such a great kid! I love her so much and I missed her terribly. Mom, dad, Griffin, and Norm were also there to greet me. It was nice to see everyone. Griffin is officially taller than me. Grrrrrr. Ma and Pa bear drove me home, and mom took my laundry. Did I mention I have the best parents?

Jordyn and I cuddled as much as possible and we snored all night. Happy bears.

I hear my nephew romping around upstairs right now. I need to go and attack him with kisses. He is the cutest little fart in the world. Check out some of my previous posts and I'm sure you'll agree.

I am going to attack him, have a bite to eat, get ready, and head down with Jordyn to pick up Norm for the cancer walk. We are going to pace off a few laps and then head to the breakfast club. For those of you who do not know, the breakfast club is held every Saturday at mom and dad's. My siblings and their families all go home and have one of mom's gourmet breakfasts together. It is a great time to catch up and hang for a relaxing morning. familia

"It you don't have family -you don't have anything." hsn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa

It's great to hear that you are home. Have a great weekend with your family and will catch up after.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY



love linda

Anonymous said...

Lisa's home ... Lisa's home. Lisa's home ... Lisa's home.

- Norm