Lisa's Surgery Date: April 25, 2008

Check the archives for details . . .



Friday, October 9, 2009

Still Amazed!

I am stunned by the number of women who opt for a lumpectomy or single mastectomy despite the incredible stats of cancer reoccurring in the other breast. I just completed an eight week online group study conducted by the BC Cancer Agency. This two year study is aiming to target women in their early 40's who have recently battled breast cancer to better understand the recovery process after treatment. Two of our group had a double mastectomy as well as having our ovaries removed. The others in the study had single lumpectomies or mastectomies. These women live with the constant fear of cancer coming back. These fearful thoughts impede the recovery process.
This does not make sense to me. Would you not rid yourself of all possible sites for cancer to reoccur? If the breasts are removed, the ovaries are the next best site for the cancer to metastasise. Have it all removed and live - knowing you've done all that you can. It takes a long time for recovery, so why give cancer ANY chance to come back just to do the whole process over again? No thanks. Yes, it's a personal decision . . . I guess it's just a no brainer for me.

3 comments:

amazingsusan said...

Still Amazed and STILL AMAZING!!

Hey Lisa, I just checked back to your blog after a very long time to find you with a big bushy head of hair which looks like your own and that BRILLIANT smile which is DEFINITELY your own!.

I've added an update note to your story here: http://www.amazingwomenrock.com/stories-written/breast-cancer-triumph.html

Also, I've just featured it on my facebook fan page here:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Amazing-Women-Rock/107437701695?ref=ts

I launched the fan page in July and am close to 500 fans now. Traffic on AWR is climbing slowly but surely, I'm at about 6,000 unique visitors per month :)

I was SOOOO pleased to find your smiling face when I revisited your blog. It put a BIG :))))) on my face to see it.

I hope the enhanced profile of AWR results in more traffic to your blog :)

You are such an amazing woman, so inspiring to others. We all salute you every day, but especially during October.

XOX Susan in Dubai

fashion jewelry said...

china jewelry wholesale
china fashion jewelry
jewelry wholesale china

Anonymous said...

I tried to have a double mastectomy but my surgeon wouldn't do it and my oncologist won't remove my ovaries!!! Like you I want them gone. I am into taking anything where the blasted cancer can return. But in 2013 it seems nothing prophylactic is done. I think I can thank Christy for this.